[Liverpool] Advice

Sujita Purushothaman sujita at skhot.net
Tue Mar 11 21:38:18 GMT 2008

Richard Smedley wrote:
> Debian will be fine - choose the laptop packages during
> install. You probably want to install IceWM as your
> window manager, if you want something light but
> Windows like. XFCe would also be fine (thus XUbuntu
> is another choice - or OpenGEU (formerly Geubuntu)).
>
> GNOME will run too, but things will grind if you open
> up OOo or Firefox.
>
> btw What laptop is it? Some old ones have problematic hardware,
> which is usually well-documented somewhere.

It's a made in Taiwan, re-branded in Malaysia laptop. Used to have a
problem with Red Hat 6.0 and 7.0 (graphics driver problems, the last
time I tried to install linux on it was quite a few years ago). It can
run Knoppix 3.0 and above without problems though. I'm currently
undecided between Debian and Puppy Linux - I don't want to spend hours
fixing problems, and Puppy Linux looks like a new-ish distro that may
require this. :-(  I don't know about Xubuntu.

Has anyone here tried Puppy Linux or Xubuntu?

Thanks, everyone.

Rgds,
Sujita