[Liverpool] Saying Hello

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Thu Nov 27 09:27:32 UTC 2008

2008/11/26 Midnight Sun <midnightsun at gmx.com>:

> Was inspired to learn more about the FOSS movement after being so blown
> away by the quality of some Windows software like Firefox and Open
> Office.  I figured if the windows software was that good I should
> experiment with the entire OS.  My first try was Ubuntu and I fell
> instantly and deeply in love.  The installation process was nothing like
> my memories of RH which was definitely a plus.

Oh yes, I remember the Slackware days, when you essentially had 3 boot
discs and a zipped file with the basic install. Installers have come
along way, Ubuntu has made massive gains in this area.

I imagine that the installation process is a key stepping stone for
new users, if you make it as simple as possible then the users will
feel more at ease about the product as a whole, knowing if that
something goes wrong its easy to "fix".

> Anyhow - like I said this is just a message to say hi and I look forward
> to finding out more about my local linux group.

Good to see a new face, come along to the next meeting, which i'll be
posting about in a few minutes.

--
Andrew Williams / Nik_Doof
w: http://tensixtyone.com/