[Liverpool] Liverpool LUG Meeting - 5th August 2009

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Mon Aug 3 12:18:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 01:05:19PM +0100, oscillik wrote:
> S3 Virgedamn, i remember that card. every time i fired up Quake II, the game
> actually mocked me

The Virge was actually quite a pivotal chipset, while Â3Dfx was stomping over the
3D graphics market with early support for DirectX. Whats comical is that the
drivers for Windows would usually favour software rendering over hardware for
specific actions, hence Q2 being unplayable on a slower machine of the time.

I loved my Voodoo2, playing Tribes with 3D accel was amazing at the time.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/
e: andy at tensixtyone.com