[Liverpool] Laptop Recomendations

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Fri Dec 11 01:25:06 UTC 2009

oscillik wrote:
> I disagree with the recommendation of the Asus EeePC 10**HA for this
> particular use. While this machine doesn't look too bad, and meets most of
> the other requirements, the graphics capabilities of this machine are quite
> subpar since it uses the Intel GMA 950 shared memory graphics...It struggles
> to cope with anything more modern than the GoldSource engine for games
> (that's the original Half-Life engine to those who don't know). I would
> think that the 10**HA wouldn't cope very well with The Sims 2 even with all
> settings at low and at lowest resolution.

Interesting. Well, graphics isn't something that I have to say means a
great deal to me on a laptop system so "meh". I'll have to take your
word for it. :)

 > The good things I can say about it - excellent battery life (i can go for
> about 7-8 hours without a charge on mine), and the general speed of the
> machine when not using graphics intensive applications. also the keyboard is
> one of the best i've used in a portable machine (but of course nothing can
> compare to my Psion netBook's keyboard)

Yeah, I like the look of those keyboards. :)

> I'd totally agree with the thinkpad though - i STILL want one of those
> machines.

*drool* *drool*

The thing is, they cost so much I'd have to be either a lot more careful
with it and take it to less places however that would remove the point
in getting a rugged machine. :-/

For the time being my eee901 with rubber protective wrapper rules my
world. :)

Tim