[Liverpool] Laptop Recomendations

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Sat Dec 12 13:35:16 UTC 2009

OK.

So there is a lot to be said for the approach the other posters have
pointed out - letting people reach their own conclusions if often the
most satisfying way of doing things.

I can see his frustrations clearly and understand them well.

There are several issues here, which should probably be addressed
separately.

"Son frustrated with ubuntu & hand me down computers given to him by father"

So this is probably the most difficult one and there are all sorts of
things one can do that may or may not work.

Give him something with a "wow" factor. Is he aware of netbooks? A shiny
small Eeepc might be something he would take everywhere. This might
sounds like a recipe for it getting broken/stolen/lost etc to a
concerned father, but if he really values it the likelihood of that is
less. Oh and at least EeePc's don't cost that much.

"Son no longer fully trusts father's advice on what he perceives as best"

That's a deep and interesting dilemma. For me, my mentor in getting me
interested in all this was my sister's partner, not my dad and I think
that helped a lot because I've never had my dad telling me what to do
with computers. It's more or less been taken from the word go with my
parents that I know more than them with regards to computer related stuff.

The ideal situation for you might perhaps be introducing your son to
people who you aren't necessarily friends with, but are knowledgeable
about GNU/Linux & free software and can help him play with stuff on the
level he's at. Maybe building games or something else fairly graphically
orientated.

You need to think carefully because anything you personally suggest to
him is likely to instantly bring about connotations of boring computer
stuff.

Hopefully you can think of something more motivational to learn about
computers and networking than trying to bypass his schools content
filtering system to play Runescape/check email/have a blog.
(That was the motivation that got me learning about networking - with
hindsight I'd have prefered to have initially learned about computers
with less clandestine motives.)

I'd be interested to hear how you end up getting on. My nephew (who is
six) is getting his first hand me down Thinkpad for Christmas (not from
me!) and I suspect in several years time we could be up against similar
kinds of things with him.

I hope this helps somewhat,

Thanks,

Tim