[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Vladimir vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 12:06:18 UTC 2009

Andrew, thanx for the link to Sophos for WinMobile.
Well, there's been a couple of new letters from them
just check my blog, as i don't want to post long stuff here
http://vovka-j.livejournal.com/

But I will quote myself here:

And another question to you (as not a part of the discussion) is about the
Network Access Control
system. From the technical side of things - how this is intended to be
working?
Will it require this agent application to be running in a daemon mode or
will your servers
be accessing it on logon to get the data about the system processes running?
In either case - this would be a trojan application that you (if my
assumptions are correct)
will require the users to install. The google search for 'Bradford
Dissolvable Agent'
doesn't return any results pointing to where to find the vendor of this
application,
nor the package itself has a valid README file (or in fact the license or
EULA) in it.
Installing software from unknown/untrusted sources is generally a bad idea,
as you probably
know yourself.

Andrew, and now get ready for this: they just register the IP address for
iPhone if you
connect to the wi-fi and send the email to them stating, that you have an
iPhone :)
How do they now, it's not a MacBook. Anyway, I can walk in with my dual-boot
MacBook
and say - Hello, my name is Linux, I need to access wi-fi. But I want to
teach them a lesson.
I need a laptop of any sort for a couple of days - to change the mac addr so
it matches the
hw addr of my macbook, to walk in there, register, close the lid of the
Linux laptop,
open the macbook, and say - Hello, you've been framed :D