[Liverpool] Open war: MySQL community vs. Oracle/Sun's mobilization campaign

aidan mcguire aidan at scraperwiki.com
Thu Dec 17 14:26:20 UTC 2009

On 17 Dec 2009, at 14:13, Dave Love wrote:

> Screwing the Sun deal can only be bad for the community as far as I
> can
> tell (and I talk to people in Sun, with whom I have better
> relationships
> than I've had with people from any other computer company).  Those
> of us
> in the HPC game, particularly, don't want to see things go further
> down
> the pan and -- apart from the hardware -- we depend on Sun free
> software
> which is not MySQL, or even Java, and unfortunately isn't generally
> copy-left.

This argument is not per se about oss versus non oss - its about
competition in the market for sql database software.
Also I dont think anyone is saying "screw the deal" my impression is
that the commission are concerned about Oracle holding a dominant
percentage of the database market.

If Oracle really want Sun then they have been given alternatives
courses to make the deal happen - ie commit to divesting itself of
mysql one the takeover is completed.

Confess however i am not a lawyer.

Aidan