[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 17:18:26 UTC 2009

Vladimir <vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com> writes:

> But I want to teach them a lesson.
> I need a laptop of any sort for a couple of days - to change the mac addr so it matches the
> hw addr of my macbook, to walk in there, register, close the lid of the Linux laptop,
> open the macbook, and say - Hello, you've been framed :D

You might be more careful what you say in public, no matter how stupid
you think people in Computing Services and their rules are -- just a
suggestion.  Merely annoying your BOFH is rarely a good idea, let alone
posting something like that potentially in front of them, and I assure
you they don't need lessons on MAC addresses.  If nothing else, consider
that this sort of thing (archived) may not give a good impression of the
group, and doesn't help any effort to improve support for non-Windows
users in the university in case everyone is tarred with the same brush.

--
(Dr) Dave Love
‘E-Science’, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org