[Liverpool] Software freedom (problems at the University)

Sujita Purushothaman sujita at skhot.net
Thu Dec 17 18:29:33 UTC 2009

Dave Love wrote:
> You might be more careful what you say in public, no matter how stupid
> you think people in Computing Services and their rules are -- just a
> suggestion.  Merely annoying your BOFH is rarely a good idea, let alone
> posting something like that potentially in front of them, and I assure
> you they don't need lessons on MAC addresses.  If nothing else, consider
> that this sort of thing (archived) may not give a good impression of the
> group, and doesn't help any effort to improve support for non-Windows
> users in the university in case everyone is tarred with the same brush.

I do agree with most of your points, re:helping someone gain
unauthorised access, and talking in public. The thing is though, I would
expect someone from a university setting to be more helpful than "The
University will categorically not change its security policy to suit
your requirements." , especially when it appears that the university is
forcing students to accept a legally binding agreement with a third
party to access it resources ( is that legal, btw, forcing students to
sign a EULA with a third party?) "The University's current policies do
not allow you to connect on the terms you state" would have been better,
and make it sound a lot less like Mr. Ward having the final say on
University policy."The University's current policies do not allow you to
connect on the terms you state, but I will raise the matter with x and
y" would have been ideal.....A University is first and foremost a place
of learning, and therefore all employees should have a facilitative
attitude, imho. Not seek to create zombies who just follow 'policy' or
'procedure'.

-Sujita