[Liverpool] Open war: MySQL community vs. Oracle/Sun's mobilization campaign

aidan mcguire aidan at scraperwiki.com
Sat Dec 19 08:24:32 UTC 2009

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Dec 2009, at 17:49, Dave Love <d.love at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:

> aidan mcguire <aidan at scraperwiki.com> writes:
>
>> This argument is not per se about oss versus non oss -
>
> It might be for some of us (for values of "oss" == "free software"),
> but
> the point was that "Monty made the following call on the open source
> community".

And the problem with doing that is what?

>> its about
>> competition in the market for sql database software.
>
> Ostensibly, but there seems to be enough competition anyway.

That may be your  judgement but the competition division at the eu
commission (its rheir day job) have made that a different judgement
and they are the only body to have sucessfully challenged ms monopoly
tactics.

> Why is it
> dismissed just because it doesn't p

> have MySQL's hype?
>
>> Also I dont think anyone is saying "screw the deal"
>
> I expect some people are in private, particularly in NE USA, but it's
> the effects of what's happening that are the problem

  Assume you mean Sun and it's channel. If Sun hadn't  bought mysql
would Oracle have bought them ?

>  (I'm no apologist
> for Oracle, obviously, and I doubt that getting people to write form
> letters is a good move, though that sort of thing seems to have worked
> for Microsoft in the OOXML `standard' horror story.)
>
> People should at least think clearly about this, and the
> consequences of
> what they're being asked to support, if not the motives of those doing
> the asking.

Not clear what this means. Action sought is to block a covert action
by Oracle. To me it's clear.