[Liverpool] Retro Computing

Christian Farrow liv_lug at shmoo.net
Fri Feb 6 13:12:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I didn't make it to the meeting - but all this retro-computing talk makes me
really wish I had - I was travelling back from work (in Gloucestershire) and
didn't make it back to the North West til about 10pm.

My favourite retro items are anything from the Psion stable - either the
later Revo, which I think really had the form factor about right - or the
very early MC series notebooks (running EPOC of course!), these were way
ahead of their time, masses of battery life and brilliant screens
(grayscale) and full size keyboard. I originally got into programming (in
OPL) on a series 3, I guess my descent into software hackery can be traced
from there :-) I still wish they could've got a Revo with Bluetooth & wifi
in it...

Due to various work related events, I also have a soft spot for the old
pizza box Sun Sparc boxes running solaris or (Aurora) Linux - I tried to
liberate one from the Marconi plant on Edge Lane when I left as it was
closed down but my plan was foiled by some spectacularly bad timing...

I will really really try to make it to the next meet....

Chris.

Chris Farrow :: cxf at zedstarr.net
http://www.zedstarr.net/