[Liverpool] My mistake

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:52:22 UTC 2009

> > I have a request. At the next meeting would it be possible to get
> > members views (strictly for my benefit) on what they think is the
> > primary function of a LUG.

To free the world from the tyranny of closed source software so that our
descendants, innumerable, can continue to enjoy the same four software
freedoms that we enjoy today.

Or maybe not. I'm not that die-hard a Stallmanist. I think the LUG has to
change for the 21st century. In the beginning it was about introducing
people to the free software and extolling the benefits of it over
proprietory operating systems and programs.

Today, free software is mainstream. Firefox has 20% market share, Google
uses it run their data centres, Netbooks are shipping with Linux
pre-installed. Sun Microsystems is open-sourcing every part of their
technology stack.

Of course, the goal of a LUG should still continue to promote the political
philosophy of free software. But in my view, the political philopsohy is the
weakest reason for using free software. Free software is higher quality,
runs on more platforms and leads to a more vibrant community of software
developers.

For example, I think that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Windows
Vista. I'd like Windows 7 as a replacement to my XP machine at work. Would I
install it at home? Absolutely not.

Windows 7 feels like the siberian wilderness. Out of the box the system is
barely usable. There's no sensible package management. If I want to develop
a program, the only real contender these days is .NET (also owned by
Microsoft). If I want a decent text editor, I have to get the free software
program Notepad++. If I want a decent image manipulation program I need
Paint.NET (Free software). If I want a good FTP client I need to use
Filezilla (Free software).

If I'm using so much free software just to make Windows usable, then why not
get rid of the costly, closed software, operating system and replace it with
an OS that lives and breathes free software?

We're now at the point where lots of people have used free software on
Windows. We just need people to take the final step. That's one goal of a
LUG, to increase awareness.

The other is to discuss technical topics with like minded individuals.
Personally, I prefer this side of the modern LUG to the politics.

Simon.