[Liverpool] Migrating hard disks

Adrian McEwen adrian at mcqn.net
Mon Jan 19 11:31:30 UTC 2009

Morning all,
 A quick (I hope) techie question...
 My CentOS-based server has been running low on disk space, so I've
bought a shiny new 0.5TB drive for it.  Rather than graft the new
drive onto the existing filesystem (because I want to keep the install
nice and simple and the e-smith distro is happiest with a single
drive) I want to move everything from the existing drive onto the new
one.
 What's the easiest and quickest way to copy everything from the old
drive to the new one?
 I'm thinking of booting from a Knoppix CD with both drives connected
up and then using "dd" to copy the contents of the old drive onto the
new.  Is that sensible?  Anything I need to worry about other than the
partition table?
 The partition layout is  [boot partition | swap partition |
everything else partition] and it's the "everything else" partition
that will be larger, so I'm assuming that will all work okay?
 Thanks,
 Adrian.