[Liverpool] Migrating hard disks

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:37:55 UTC 2009

Andy's solution is probably the best but if you want something more simple
you could always use Clonezilla, just download the live cd and boot from
that. It will let you clone single partitions or entire disks and you can
tell it the 3rd partition will be larger on the new disk, it'll deal with
that automatically. It's very clever. It essentially will be using tools
like dd and rsync under the surface but it gives you a much simpler
interface. You should be able to put both disks in the machine, clone the
old drive to the new one and then just swap them and boot up I think. I'm
not sure how it will deal with GRUB but I presume if you clone the disk that
will be copied too. You might still have to reinstall it though.

http://clonezilla.org/

I'm no sysadmin guru and I bow to Andy's superior knowledge on this but I
think this solution should work as well. It's really up to you. Worth trying
Clonezilla on your other machines anyway, it really kicks Ghost into touch
for me and it's all GPL. I know a few people who use it on their enterprise
set ups at work. I use it to make bootable images of my machines as backups,
I've restored a few and it's really seamless, works for Linux, Mac or
Windows.

Just had to throw my 2 pence in there sorry hehe :)

Dan