[Liverpool] Fwd: FOSDEM X: 6+7 February 2010

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Thu Jul 16 17:18:17 UTC 2009

Richard Smedley wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> Tip - stop f***ing up the planet with CO2 & never
> fly again. There is *nowhere* in Europe not easily
> reachable by train.

Gah. Last year I was doing Krakow -> Brussels -> Manchester so it was
definitely cheaper.. Obviously this was not actually the point you were
trying to make.

> I haven't been to FOSDEM for a couple of years, but
> every time I have I've gone by Eurostar - costs
> about GBP59 London to Bruxelles. From Liverpool it's
> about 5 hours door-to-door (& no waiting at airport
> check-in :).

Yeah, I've just done an estimate based on if FOSDEM was sometime in
November..

It would be ~£30 each way on eurostar if booked in advance & from about
£16 return from Manchester <-> London depending on time of day.

For what it's worth;
I love travelling by train > flying mainly because you can get so much
more done - though IIRC last time I was on Eurostar en route to Lille
there wasn't any power sockets which is a bit sucky even though I have
an eeepc.

I think at St. Pancreas they have a big bank of power sockets but really
seriously it's megaannoying not having power on trains these days.

Tim