[Liverpool] [HAR2009] The lectures and related activities

Graeme Dyas admin at zabouth.com
Thu Jun 11 13:37:00 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: HAR2009 <har-announce at har2009.org>
Date: 2009/6/9
Subject: [HAR2009] The lectures and related activities
To: har-announce at har2009.org

1. The lectures and related activities
2. Camping

1. The lectures and related activities

  Hell yeah - if you're anything like us, you've also been curling your
  toes in fearful and joyous anticipation of what would be presented at
  [1]HAR2009. For a while, it looked like nothing much was happening,
  but the closer we got to the deadline, the more we got swamped in
  submissions. We ended up getting so many proposals that we had to
  reject about half of them: we simply couldn't fit more than a hundred
  talks in four days, and presenting that amount of talks, lectures and
  debates already boils down to expecting all participants to subject
  themselves to serious sleep deprivation...

  We were amazed at what we received. There was shock and awe in the
  program committee. To be honest, we've gambled as well: taking aboard
  speakers who we didn't know but who'd come up with a titillating
  thesis, a mindboggling concept or a clear-cut idea. We hope just as
  much as you do that they'll live up to our expectations, but we're
  quite confident that the HAR2009 program will be, uhm, interesting - to
  be modest.

  There are some presentations that we ourselves are very eager to see
  and hear.  And there's some serious hardware hacking.  For instance,
  we'll have a guy with an in-built camera eye (Mr. Eyeborg) and people
  showing how you can fab prostheses for 40 bucks instead of 25,000
  dollars - we'll happily buy a left arm and a knee from them.

  There's politics, too - of course. Wikileaks will speak about their
  position in a society where governments are increasingly secretive
  about their own policies, and discuss the hazards and complications of
  publishing leaked documents. We'll talk about the policies of search
  engines, the dangers of data breaches, and EFF will explain their
  strategy for civilians to defend themselves against the ubiquitous
  surveillance society. Anonymous will talk about social media as a
  political tool, and they'll explain why fun is important when you start
  an argument with Scientology. We'll talk about copyright and
  distribution rights.

  There's plenty of hardcore tech as well. How Mifare was broken and what
  to do next; reverse engineering chips; side channel analysis (reading
  votes cast on a voting machines from a distance), and how to use the
  debug port of your devices to do hardware hacking.

  We'll have scientific talks on crypto - can we use quantum mechanics to
  provide secure identification in an insecure environment? - and we'll
  talk about the relation between the need for open source and the
  progress of science. Or to put it the other way around: how science
  suffers through proprietary formats, patens and non-disclosure.

  And it's going to be fun, too. The aesthetics of [2]Blinkenlights,
  Hacker Jeopardy, bars, food, and so many interesting people to see and
  meet....

  A detailed program will be available at the end of June.  See you at
  HAR!

2. Camping

  Also, we notice many people are asking about the camping grounds.
  Therefore, a short run-down of the essentials. Yes, there will be
  [3]power. Yes, there will be [44]network. Yes, there will be wifi
  (triple band). Yes, there will be plenty of [5]showers and toilets.
  More information on all this is available [6]on the wiki.

  A sneak preview at some other facilities (more details in later
  announcements): the area will be covered by eventphone's [7]DECT
  network (with free dialout to numbers in the Netherlands and Germany),
  a lounge area with soothing background music and a fully-fledged
  [8]arcade hall, [9]the family village with fun and education for our
  youngest hackers, 24/7 [10]camp-radio with news and backgrounds (maybe
  even television), good and diverse food and plenty of fluids, an indian
  coffee-house, and more!