[Liverpool] GNU/Linux, software freedom, Open Source - open workshop & wiki workshop!

Heather Corcoran heather.corcoran at fact.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 16:24:54 UTC 2009

Yay, nice one! Yea it will be a weekly techie kind of after work meet up
- a quick drink and a different interesting talk every week! :)
*
*Also, unrelated but we're doing this week a really cool wiki project
that will overlap with this on Wednesday but also tonight and tomorrow
night... *

Liverpool Wiki Workshop
With Steve Lambert, Eyebeam Senior Fellow*

Monday 16 March 6-9pm
Tuesday 17 March 6-9pm
Wednesday 18 March 6-9pm

A "wiki" is an interlinked set of Web pages written by the people who
use it: the beauty of a wiki is that anyone can easily edit and
contribute. The Liverpool Wiki will be a comprehensive guide for
residents and visitors to share all things Liverpool - from events, to
parks, to where to grab a snack after midnight. In this workshop we'll
be launching the wiki, taking field trips, collecting information and
putting it all on the site. Any and all skill levels are welcome - we
need writers, photographers, know it alls, visitors, residents, amateur
tour guides - we need you!

Check out the wiki in progress at:

http://liverpool.wikispot.org/

Cheers!

Richard Smedley wrote:
> PS Please feel free to forward :)
>
> On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 19:13 +0000, Richard Smedley wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Want to bring the debate on software freedom, open
>> source, open access, digital rights, open knowledge,
>> open education, and all other good things to a
>> wider audience? Read on :)
>>
>> As part of FACT's Climate for Change exhibition [1]
>> I'll be leading a Social Café called Small Steps to
>> Sustainability [2].
>>
>> After a *brief* talk on how small steps link up simple
>> actions we can take, in response to the big problems we
>> face, it's an open discussion on that week's theme.
>>
>> There are 11 café events, to be held in Gallery 1,
>> into which you can take beer from the bar. It's an informal,
>> after-work event, at 6pm (sharp), and anyone can turn up.
>>
>> A part of this is people from community projects related to
>> the event are more-than-welcome to help lead
>> discussion. Of particular interest to LUGgers are
>>     * 18 March: Sustainable Learning – GNU/Linux
>>     - covers Open Source models of learning, open access, P2P, etc.
>>     * 25 March: Sustainable Communities – Drupal / Plone /
>>                 WordPress Linking Us Up
>>     - covers building sustainable communities with online tools
>>     * 1 April: Low Carbon Computing
>>     * 29 April: Sustainable Sanity – Ditch Windows & Take Back
>>                 Control of Your PC
>>     * 20 May: Community-minded – Social Enterprises & IT
>>
>> But I'd love to see you all at any of the 11 events :-)
>>
>>  - Richard
>>
>> [1] http://climateforchange.fact.co.uk/
>> [2] http://www.goodgnus.org/small-steps/
>> PS There's also a FaceBook group:
>> <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69690510368>
>> --
>> Richard Smedley                              PRINCE2 Project Management
>>                                               Sustainable 3rd Sector IT
>> http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley                  http://GoodGNUs.org/
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardsmedley
>>                                        http://identi.ca/richardsmedley/

Heather Corcoran
Curator
FACT
88 Wood Street
Liverpool, L1 4DQ

t: + 44 (0)151 707 4425
f: + 44 (0)151 707 4445

http://www.fact.co.uk
Bookings: +44 (0)8707 583217
Information: +44 (0)151 707 4450

FACT is proud to be in LIVERPOOL, EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2008