[Liverpool] OtherOS-on-Linux or Linux-on-OtherOS? was "Multi-Boot Query"

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:33:58 UTC 2009

> I think this is a case of citation needed, otherwise it just sounds
> like you're trolling.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see I actually say what you're
saying in the paragraph below:

> Surely, if the FSF was against copyright they'd release everything
> into the public domain rather than use the power of copyright to grant
> extra freedoms (or restrictions, depending on your views) with their
> own license.

I was pointing out the irony of being a member of the FSF and being against
copyright. In reality, they care about copyright just as much as Microsoft.
The only difference is that the FSF wants to curtail different freedoms than
commerical operations.

The FSF is most definitely not *against* copyright. It requires it to
function. Daniel was trying to claim that they were against copyright, I
just don't see how that could be.

> It could be said that the GPL increases freedom by forcing the sharing
> of the code as well as the binary. GPL v BSD is like KDE v Gnome or Vi
> v Emacs, it's a matter of personal opinion and no amount of shouting
> is going to change someone's mind.

It is possible to have a debate on all those topics without the thread
becoming Godwined ;)

I think the resolution to all of these debates is one in the same: different
things for different people.

The GPL optimizes for developers. The BSD optimizes for the users.

OS X is BSD based and is a fantastic product. The BSD license helped users
get their hands on a well rounded consumer OS.

In constrast, the GPL insures that the code stays free forever so developers
can hack on it until the end of time.

Like I said, different licenses, different people.