[Liverpool] Group Future (Was: Places To Drink)

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri May 8 12:54:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:30:34PM +0100, Dan Lynch wrote:
> I would agree with Vladimir on this one. I know we are called a Linux User
> Group but in reality at every LUG I've ever been to people don't just talk
> about Linux exclusively. There's usually talk about phones and mobile
> devices, BSD, Solaris and all kinds of general FLOSS stuff. I've never heard
> anyone complain about it. There's plenty of Linux talk too as you'd expect
> but it's not a set topic. It's what I would expect at a LUG, perhaps I've
> missed the point of the L in LUG all along. I love Linux and I love talking
> about it but I don't mind if people want to talk about BSD or anything else.
> It seems a little like splitting hairs.

Yes, but in the same mindset would a non linux user come to a group
named the Linux User Group? our scope and membership covers a wide range
of people but the name of the group is restrictive.

Don't take me wrong, i'm not on about setting topics or enforcing what
people talk about, thats stupid. I'm talking about naming the group
better than what it is. let it reflect the membership, not dictate it.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/
e: andy at tensixtyone.com