[Liverpool] WPA_Supplicant doesn't. (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Go Back To CAT5)

Ben Arnold iamseawolf at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 18:42:08 UTC 2009

A pint* is the prize for anyone that can get wpa_supplicant to connect to a
protected wireless network.

Wicd can connect to unprotected ones -- proving the wireless, drivers etc. are
fine -- but no matter the level of protection set, wpa_supplicant times-out
when trying to negotiate the authentication. (With unprotected networks, the
networking system does not call wpa_supplicant, thus it works.) This is on
SliTaz Linux, a Slack-like basic distro, but I must confess I haven't tied any
others because of the no-CDROM situation. If you have Live distros on USB you
wish to convert me to then I'm more than willing to give them a try: if
they're quick to run as I us SliTaz for the ~15sec full-desktop boot.

I'll bring the 'book along to each LUG, if not just to feel good about myself
on the train.

Cheers,
Ben

* In the case of Wrexham, your prize is whatever I can get from the bakery
with the change from the train fare, as we don't meet in a pub!