[Liverpool] shell script (sh) : variable contains string?

Ben Arnold iamseawolf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:49:40 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 23:16:13 Jakub Ambrożewicz wrote:
> echo ${SCREEN_MODES} | grep '1024x768x' > /dev/null
> avail=$?
>
> if [ ${avail} -eq 0 ]; then
>     echo "Found a 1024x768 resolution, setting as default."

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I prefer the more traditional &
perhaps readable methods so I'll use Dave's but Jakub's was interesting and on
my train of thought in terms of output. Think I was starting at it for too
long a time! Still, I've learned what $? etc. is :)

> However, if you're using awk anyway, why not just match with that?
Because I'm a pain! I think it's just how I use both utilities; awk does the
tidying and grep the finding. By breaking them up I've got both a full and tidy
list of modes, as well as the best 1024 to do things with.

Thanks to both of you for the help :)

Ben