[Liverpool] Iceweasel

William Sanders / EFG wsanders at efgroup.net
Sun Sep 6 03:44:26 UTC 2009

I'm sure someone can get to the core of the fork in IceWeasel, and explain
the technical intricacies of just why it goes sideways.

I've no intention of doing that, however.

I will give a big kudos to Opera Browser - and it's ability to shift from
'Author' to 'User' Mode, as well as it's 'one-click' ability to load or
not load images.

'User' Mode, with 'No Images' - is great for fast loading of 'otherwise
intense' websites - my fav example is that silly stuff at myspace...  What
might take 12 seconds on the fastest fiber, takes about 0.33 seconds
without that extra fluff.  But - that's situational metrics - your mileage
may vary, GREATLY (So Question My Metrics, I Beg Of You...)

But my serious example, with Opera, is on any php-based 'database query'
forms. I don't want the graphics - I'm only interested in 'the text' ..

Sure, I know, I know, I could launch lynx and be happy camper - but...
I'm an Opera Fan...  Sure - it takes a bit of configuration until you've
found yer sweet spot, but those things are known (from the user forums) .

This wasn't supposed to be the 'LUG Browser War', was it?  If so, I
suggest a multi-machine empirical test, back at the FACT space, complete
with a 8 gal pony keg o beer - start around 3 PM, so the beer becomes
useful on that 8th test...

Mondo Regards [Bill]