[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Mon Sep 7 01:05:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 19:14 +0100, oscillik wrote:
> issues i've had (in order of importance):
>

> 1. very low audio in and out, even when all faders are at 100%.

My neighbours would find that hard to believe ;-)

  http://myrtle.6gnip.net/~rah/linux-audio-06.png

> 2. extremely poor graphics performance.
> 3. slow browsing experience.

These appear to be the same issue.  And indeed, it does seem to be an
issue.  I can see two causes, (1) lack of openness of graphics chip
makers and (2) lack of resources for development of X.  Both of these
are gradually changing but it will take time for this to translate into
real-world performance gains.

Personally, I'm happy to forego immediate performance in favour of the
longer-term benefits of a free *nix environment (he says hugging his
shiny r7xx ATI card :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }