[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Mon Sep 7 08:21:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:08:21AM +0100, Andrew Williams wrote:
> I remember (vaugely) that Mozilla did extend a license to to use the branding
> to Debian but they rejected it, it seemed (to me) a bit more PR flag waving
> than actual problem solving.

Yes, as I remembered:

"The trademark policy for firefox marks has been discussed repeatedly in the
Debian community, and it is my understanding that the Mozilla Foundation
*has* extended a trademark license to Debian so long as changes we make to
the software remain within certain reasonable limits.  Are you saying that
there's a problem with the packages which invalidates that license, or that
the Mozilla Foundation is rescinding that license, or what?"

Further to the thread is that people have issues with the approval process
to validate a tarball with patches as "Firefox" with all the bells and such.
The trademark is identified as "non-DFSG".

Really, IMHO, Firefox should of been moved to non-free, then use of another
browser (Epiphany?) becomes default. If this happened today I'd put money
on Debian moving to a WebKit based browser and dumping FF/Gecko completely.

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/