[Liverpool] [ANN] Ignite Liverpool 2

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 13:30:00 UTC 2010

> If I wasn't so dreadfully busy, I'd love to go.
>
> Sadly, I'm quite busy[1] and I can't really afford to come over for
> this.. :(
>
> I hope you all have a great event!
>
> Tim

Interesting. The Pirate Party, however, seems to contradict your view point
with respect to free software.

If you're pro-free software than you must surely be pro-copyright
enforcement? After all, the GPL depends on the copyright system in order to
be enforceable.

In a world where everything is public domain, there is nothing to stop
Microsoft, Oracle, IBM etc from incorporating GPL code in their products and
selling them without supplying access to the source-code.

For example, if the Pirate Party were to reduce copyright length on software
to five years then I would be well within my rights to re-release my own
modifications to the first versions of Ubuntu and sell them just as Apple
does today with OSX (which was based on BSD).

Surely you do not support this position?

Moreover, how does the Pirate Party plan to cut the 130 billion deficit?

How are you going to pay for our pensions?

How are you going to bring our troops home from Afghanistan?

How are you going to cut crime?

How are you going to drive up standards in schools?

How are you going to get the couple of million unemployed back to work?

How are you going to provide affordable housing?

I think the current copyright arrangement is lopsided, that much is true,
but even your flagship policy is internally inconsistent. Your policies on
other key issues are none existent.

This election is too important to waste your vote on a party that can't even
come up with a sensible policy on the very issue it owes its existence to.

Cheers,

Simon.