[Liverpool] [ANN] Ignite Liverpool 2

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Fri Apr 9 16:07:29 UTC 2010

Simon Johnson wrote:
> Interesting. The Pirate Party, however, seems to contradict your view point
> with respect to free software.
>
> If you're pro-free software than you must surely be pro-copyright
> enforcement? After all, the GPL depends on the copyright system in order to
> be enforceable.
>
> In a world where everything is public domain, there is nothing to stop
> Microsoft, Oracle, IBM etc from incorporating GPL code in their products and
> selling them without supplying access to the source-code.
>
> For example, if the Pirate Party were to reduce copyright length on software
> to five years then I would be well within my rights to re-release my own
> modifications to the first versions of Ubuntu and sell them just as Apple
> does today with OSX (which was based on BSD).
>
> Surely you do not support this position?

Indeed you are right, I do not support this position.

However, the UK Pirate Party also does not hold this position, and I'm
going to have to point out that you've not done you're homework. :(

When the Swedish Pirate Party released the policy you outlined, Richard
Stallman wrote this article.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html

PPSE's response can be summerised as "meh" but PPUK however, who were
just forming our copyright policy at the time, got into talks with RMS:
http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2009/aug/18/rms-talks-pirate-party-uk/

RMS suggested that 5 years was too short, but 10 years was OK.

We had a vote on copyright policy with in the party and I can quote from
our manifesto:

"Our 10 year copyright length will include a renewal after 5 years
(allowing works that the creator is no longer interested in to fall into
the public domain after 5 years). An exception will be made for
software, where a 5 year term will apply to closed source software, and
a 10 year term to open source, in recognition of the extra rights given
to the public by open source licences. We will remove the loophole in
copyright law that allows 'restarting the clock' by simply moving
content to a new format, or making a small change to it."
http://ppuk.it/manifesto2010

- so there you go.

I support a policy endorsed by RMS which is specifically designed to
protect the legal hack that free software exists in.

> Moreover, how does the Pirate Party plan to cut the 130 billion deficit?

The UK Pirate Party is not a whipped party. Pirate Party UK policies
only cover a certain number of subjects, mainly related to Digital
Rights. Representatives are encouraged to form their own opinions on
issues outside these areas so my policies on the issues you list below
would not be representative of all PPUK candidate's perspectives.

> How are you going to pay for our pensions?
>
> How are you going to bring our troops home from Afghanistan?
 >
> How are you going to cut crime?
>
> How are you going to drive up standards in schools?

PPUK has specific manifesto points about the way technology is presented
in schools. As many of you know, this is right up my street.

> How are you going to get the couple of million unemployed back to work?
>
> How are you going to provide affordable housing?

I'm about to just about to launch my campaign site where I'll put
forward my opinions on issues like these.

Currently I just have http://votepirate.org/gorton

However the key point to my campaign is that I want my constituents to
engage and discuss with me how they feel about these issues - I don't
profess to know the answer to all of those questions - but I think
together with my constituents and those passionate about the issues we
can come to a conclusion.

> I think the current copyright arrangement is lopsided, that much is true,
> but even your flagship policy is internally inconsistent. Your policies on
> other key issues are none existent.
>
> This election is too important to waste your vote on a party that can't even
> come up with a sensible policy on the very issue it owes its existence to.

Since that's not true, is there any chance you'd be willing to take that
back? It seems a bit harsh in retrospect, whether you'd vote for me or
not. :)

Cheers,

Tim