[Liverpool] Runtime OS architecture detection

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Dec 10 23:23:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 15:30 +0000, Liam Devine wrote:

> Currently I am trying to figure out the best and most universal method
> of detecting the host architecture for Linux distros at runtime

Use config.guess from GNU autotools.  Eg, on my system I can do the
following:

rah at myrtle:~$ /usr/share/automake-1.11/config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
rah at myrtle:~$ /usr/share/automake-1.11/config.guess | cut -f 1 -d -
x86_64

Note also that for your purposes, "use" will most likely mean reading
the source.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }