[Liverpool] Django Python Developer required for scraperwiki.com

aidan mcguire aidan at scraperwiki.com
Tue Mar 30 19:57:31 UTC 2010

ScraperWiki needs an experienced Python/Django Developer

To get at data, programmers write bits of code called 'screen
scrapers', which extract the useful bits so they can be reused in
other apps, or rummaged through by journalists and researchers.  But
these bits of code tend to break, get thrown away or forgotten once
they have been used, and so the data is lost again - which is bad!
ScraperWiki is an online tool to make that process simpler and more
collaborative.  Anyone can write a screen scraper using the online
editor, and the code and data are shared with the world.    We are a
Channel 4 [4iP] project and we are in the Beta phase of the project.

If you love the start up pace and are ready for a challenging but
rewarding opportunity, this is for you. The current code base is
fresh and well-written. You'll be joining a team of top-notch
developers on a project that is using lots of cutting edge
technology.  You will assist in the design and execution of
technology strategy for ScraperWiki.   It is important that you have
strong communication skills to integrate well with the existing team.

www.scraperwiki.com

We are looking for a web developer with the following skills base:
Ideally a university degree in a science subject
3+ years Django/Python programming experience required
5+ years web development experience required
Proven track record as a hands-on developer
Proficiency in a Linux environment
Strong attention to detail and follow through
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Possess exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multi-
task, take on responsibility and work well under strict deadlines
Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly in a challenging, ever-
changing, fast-paced environment.
Team player
Needs to be able to work independently and have the tenacity to
research and overcome problems
Excellent code documentation
Must prefer entrepreneurial or start-up environment.
Other valuable skills could include:
Good at building igloos will help but not essential http://
scraperwiki.com/about/

This is an initial 2 Month Contract position with a strong
possibility of extension if you have the correct experience. For
further details and to confirm rates/availability please submit a
current CV

This is an open source project.  Follow on twitter @scraperwiki

If you are interested in applying please send your CV and please
write a scraper. During interviews we will ask for feedback.

Aidan
Scraperwiki
Liverpool Science Park (IC2)
146 Brownlow Hill