[Liverpool] Linux CCTV

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 12:50:30 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 12:22 PM, Ste wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 11:54, Sebastian wrote:
>> By the way - if anybody is thinking of doing a similar project (not
>> necessarily vehicle based, but any other kind of Linux cctv) - and
>> would like to have a look at the bash scripts I've cobbled together -
>> feel free to ask. It's not much, as most of the heavy lifting is done
>> by "proper software" (ffmpeg, vlc, mjpg_streamer etc.) - but if it
>> helps someone else get started - I would be happy to post the sources.
>>
>> Sebastian
>>

> Yeah, I'd be interested. As I said, I've done a couple of Zoneminder
> installations in the past and it does my nut in almost every time I have
> to deal with it.
>
> I don't know if you've looked into it, but what would be the preferred
> way to stream the feeds over http?

I found the following page useful to work out my options for streaming.
If you look under the second section - "Output method / muxer matrix" -
under the HTTP column - you will see your choices:

http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html

Once you choose your encapsulation, (TS/ASF/PS etc.) - on the same page
you can work out your codec options.

Keep in mind that mjpeg is an inefficient format (in terms of
bandwidth). In terms of codec - mpeg4 with h264 seems to be the
preferred option nowadays. You will just have to choose your
encapsulation/container.

One day maybe the Google open-sourced VP8/WebM codec will be the thing
to use - but as the browser support is minimal at the moment - I'm
afraid it doesn't seem like a viable option just now.

Then again - if you use VLC or some other player on the client (and not
a web browser) - things are a bit different then. I think the current
VLC already has WebM support.

Sebastian