[Liverpool] Linux CCTV

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 13:55:56 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 01:07 PM, Ste wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 12:50, Sebastian wrote:
>> I found the following page useful to work out my options for
>> streaming. If you look under the second section - "Output method /
>> muxer matrix" - under the HTTP column - you will see your choices:
>>
>> http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html
>>
>> Once you choose your encapsulation, (TS/ASF/PS etc.) - on the same
>> page you can work out your codec options.
>>
>> Keep in mind that mjpeg is an inefficient format (in terms of
>> bandwidth). In terms of codec - mpeg4 with h264 seems to be the
>> preferred option nowadays. You will just have to choose your
>> encapsulation/container.
>>
>> One day maybe the Google open-sourced VP8/WebM codec will be the thing
>> to use - but as the browser support is minimal at the moment - I'm
>> afraid it doesn't seem like a viable option just now.
>>
>> Then again - if you use VLC or some other player on the client (and
>> not a web browser) - things are a bit different then. I think the
>> current VLC already has WebM support.
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Cheers for that - sounds interesting. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to
> making a modern browser a requirement to view the stream. On the grand
> scale of things, it certainly doesn't seem like too much to ask. Doesn't
> Chrome support h.264 out-the-box these days?
>
> The only other thing I'd need is a 4-up or 6-up or 8-up display (that
> is, 4, 6 or 8 feeds on the screen at once)

Will you be getting all the streams separate from the CCTV box? If yes,
is this to view all the streams on your own laptop - or on client machine?

On your own laptop, I think VLC has a filter (if it works :-) ) - to
display simultaneously several streams in the same screen. Can't
remember the name of the filter I'm afraid.

Sebastian

rather than cycling through