[Liverpool] Linux on ARM

Ste ste at enzy.me.uk
Fri Oct 8 13:01:02 UTC 2010

  On 08/10/2010 13:56, Sebastian wrote:

> Thanks Graeme. In a sense that is an answer to my question. I have
> installed Linux on some NSLUs a while ago (which are ARM based). I
> know it can be done in many cases. I was just wondering if there will
> ever be some sort of universal method which will work on all of them.
> I guess you have already answered that - the short answer is no.
>
> Well, one can keep on hoping. I guess until that will be that case, I
> don't see ARM breaking out of the 'device' type market, into the
> general computing market - where x86 is. Not that the 'device' market
> is not lucrative, or large enough, or fairly useful to all of us as it
> is now :-)

I think a best-case scenario would be if every arm-based
tablet/phone/device could boot into a standard 'recovery' mode (by
holding down a 2nd button when powering the device on, for example) - in
which, you'd be able to flash the on-board storage with either an image
on an attached USB stick, or over a USB connection to a host running
something similar to android's 'adb' thingy which you get with the
development kit. These images would all be nice and standard, like how
bootable CDs are made with .iso files now.

Hands up if you can see this ever happening!