[Liverpool] Discussions at the last LivLUG regarding Symbian

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 12:50:23 UTC 2011

I absolutely agree with all the points that you make, *but*, if Linus
and everybody else in the Open Source community would have looked at
things the same way, we would have none of the great software we are all
using.

There is another way of looking at it. If you keep your software closed
source, it saves you 50% of the time compared to releasing it open
source. However, if you release it as open source, it saves *others*, in
total, 100% * 20000 times - in time (using the example you brought up).
So the benefits to the community when work is done the open source way
increase exponentially. I would say that is a lot of time saved.

For a popular piece of software, you could possibly end up saving other
people more then the 3 billion seconds you hope to spend in total on
this Earth. That's not bad going.

That being said, open source people like freedom of choice, so anybody
wanting to keep software to himself/herself is welcome to do so.

Sebastian