[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Thu Aug 11 10:35:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 09:08 +0100, Andrew Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:50:18AM +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
> > I'm a little unclear as to how they could have reacted differently; they
> > don't seem to have had much of a choice.  What could they have done
> > instead of removing Mozilla's branding?
>
> I remember (vaugely) that Mozilla did extend a license to to use the branding
> to Debian but they rejected it, it seemed (to me) a bit more PR flag waving
> than actual problem solving.

It taken nearly two years but I just realised what the problem is
here :-)  Mozilla provided a license to Debian but not to authors of
derivatives (or even other builders).  That means if a Debian user built
the source code for Debian's version of Firefox, they would not have the
right to distribute the resulting binaries.

Debian did the appropriate thing in forking and de-branding Firefox.
Debian users now have the right to build Iceweasel and distribute
binaries without requiring a license from Mozilla.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }