[Liverpool] SIP Providers

Liam Craddock liam at liamcraddock.com
Thu Aug 18 13:34:54 UTC 2011

Afternoon all,

I want to setup a SIP phone at home instead of getting a BT line. I have
a Cisco 7940g phone which has a SIP firmware image I can flash on. I
want to to talk directly to the sip provider, no go through any
intermediate hardware.(Sebastian, any reason why this wouldn't work?)

My question is, what sip providers would people suggest? It'll be low
call volumes, possibly one or two calls a week, and probably most
incoming. I'll need an external number and I don't really mind if its
local or not. Do sip providers generally charge for incoming calls?

I also want to configure the devices and test them before committing to
anything, do providers let you do this?

Thanks!

I'll see some of you for the LUG crawl.

- Liam -