[Liverpool] geek support needed!

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 22:39:11 UTC 2011

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the list!

I'm not sure I will be able to help you much. I'm afraid I'm a Slackware
man myself. However, I've done several Ubuntu 10.10 installs recently -
and I've noticed that Pulseaudio is used by default - in between
whatever software you are using and Alsa. I had myself some problems
with Pulseaudio on these Ubuntu machines - mainly with sound stuttering
and freezing after a while.

I hope somebody who runs Ubuntu will be soon along with more Ubuntu or
Gnome specific suggestions (although I wouldn't have thought it is Gnome
that's at fault - as you don't have problems with system sounds - but I
could be wrong).

Few more things:

1. I've tried the website you mentioned (www.afolksongaday.com) and it
works fine on my Slackware machine on Firefox.

2. You didn't say which version of Ubuntu you have.

3. If you click on the speaker icon in the top right corner, and then
'Sound Preferences' - what do you have listed under the 'Hardware' tab?

Regards,

Sebastian