[Liverpool] E-mail servers, anyone?

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 19:32:09 UTC 2011

Probably not exactly what you are after - but I mainly use Exim for
smtp, Dovecot for imap/pop3 and Thunderbird+Lightning on the client
side. I also sync calendars and address books with a plugin for
Thunderbird called SyncKolab - which saves the stuff in imap folders on
the server and syncs them from there. I wouldn't say thought that
SyncKolab is the most reliable thing out-there - so I highly recommend
thorough testing before deployment. Otherwise Exim and Dovecot are
really thorough, industrial pieces of software in my opinion - and from
what research I've done.

I haven't implemented yet any sort of webmail interface - as I don't
like open ports towards the Internet and constant monitoring. All remote
access is done from laptops equipped with openvpn, through Thunderbird
installed on them. I believe though that you can bolt one of the popular
webmail interfaces on top of Exim and Dovecot.

I have one client where I had to allow email access for iPhones - and
they work fine talking to Dovecot from the Internet (I had to open a
port here though towards the Internet - after reading all the security
docs and tightening things as much as I could).

You might notice that I didn't go the integrated route - with one of the
collaboration suites. Many of them integrate Exim and/or Dovecot anyway
- however, I liked the idea of being able to choose and pick every
single component to suit my needs - but I accept there are plenty of
advantages choosing one of the ready made collaboration suites.

Hope the above helps,

Sebastian