[Liverpool] Report from the Liverpool Social Centre meeting

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sun Jul 3 11:43:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 09:35 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> On 02/07/11 22:27, Bob Ham wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Social Centre have monthly meetings.  I attended the most recent,
> > last Tuesday (28th June).  Here's a list of things that were discussed:
> >
> > * One of the computers needs a private user for collection of Social
> >    Centre email.  This needs to not disappear :-)
>
> Has there been any mention of backup? Are they using any form at the
> moment? If they have data of any significance on it, a form of backup of
> some sort would really be necessary.

Someone asked about it a long time ago.  There's no backup system in
place at present.  However, by "not disappear" I simply meant that it
would be bad if we formatted the disk or replaced it with another one,
without transferring the data.

A backup system would be good.

> > So, to condense this there are a few tasks that need doing immediately:
>
> Considering that there will be some data that potentially needs keeping,
> possibly the need for some automatic backups, and the need to share the
> printers - has there been any mention of possibly turning one of the
> computers into a server - so that things can be kept a bit more centralised?

No talk of that, no.  There are problems with a server.  Firstly,
running a server requires more electricity which is ecologically unsound
and an unnecessary expense if the same functionality can be provided
without a server.  (To be honest, I can't imagine they would be happy
with this.)

Secondly, and I think this actually the bigger issue, nobody in the
centre is going to be able to administer a Linux server.  So, that would
change the relationship between the Social Centre and the LUG.  At
present, we simply help them with their computers.  If we all get run
over by a bus, or find some other venue or whatever, the Social Centre's
computing can carry on without any problems.  If we add a server then
the Social Centre is now *dependent* on us to run their computers.

As I recall, there was a similar suggestion after we set up their
computers with Linux.  There were mumblings about using static IP
addresses for the computers on the network.  However, that would mean
that if we disappeared and they changed their network router or added
something new to the network, things could stop working.  Again, it made
the Social Centre dependent on the LUG for their network to run.

It strikes me that this is not a good road to go down, at least not yet.
Perhaps in five years' time when our relationship with the Social Centre
is more stable and secure (and for that matter, when the group itself is
more stable and secure :-)  Another point to be discussed I think.

> > 1. Set up printing using the laser and/or photocopier
> > 2. Set up the projector with one computer
> > 3. Run introductory sessions
> >
> > I'm intending to make a start on the first two this Monday.  In general,
> > though, I think the computers in the centre need some kind of attention.
> > I'm intending to give them this but that shouldn't discourage others
> > from helping.  If you want to get involved, please don't wait for people
> > to say "this needs to be done", just get stuck in :-)
>
> I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing on this one (although I am
> :-) ) - but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if you (or somebody else)
> would serve as a liaising, central contact point on this. Somebody needs
> to keep track of what has been done, how and by whom.

I *am* serving as a liaison, central contact point, and keeping track of
what's being done :-)  I'll rephrase: just get stuck in and let people
know what you're up to :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }