[Liverpool] Report from the Liverpool Social Centre meeting

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 08:28:32 UTC 2011

Fair enough Bob. I'm happy to help along with whatever is best for them
at the moment. I might be a bit suggestion-happy sometimes - but you
know better the situation on the ground, so it's best to stick with what
you know will work for them.

I most likely won't be able to make it over tonight - but maybe me, you
and Dan can coordinate another occasion to get work done?

Sebastian

On 03/07/11 12:29, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 09:35 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>>
>> On 02/07/11 22:27, Bob Ham wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The Social Centre have monthly meetings.  I attended the most recent,
>>> last Tuesday (28th June).  Here's a list of things that were discussed:
>>>
>>> * One of the computers needs a private user for collection of Social
>>>     Centre email.  This needs to not disappear :-)
>>
>> Has there been any mention of backup? Are they using any form at the
>> moment? If they have data of any significance on it, a form of backup of
>> some sort would really be necessary.
>
> Someone asked about it a long time ago.  There's no backup system in
> place at present.  However, by "not disappear" I simply meant that it
> would be bad if we formatted the disk or replaced it with another one,
> without transferring the data.
>
> A backup system would be good.
>

>>> So, to condense this there are a few tasks that need doing immediately:
>>
>> Considering that there will be some data that potentially needs keeping,
>> possibly the need for some automatic backups, and the need to share the
>> printers - has there been any mention of possibly turning one of the
>> computers into a server - so that things can be kept a bit more centralised?
>
> No talk of that, no.  There are problems with a server.  Firstly,
> running a server requires more electricity which is ecologically unsound
> and an unnecessary expense if the same functionality can be provided
> without a server.  (To be honest, I can't imagine they would be happy
> with this.)
>
> Secondly, and I think this actually the bigger issue, nobody in the
> centre is going to be able to administer a Linux server.  So, that would
> change the relationship between the Social Centre and the LUG.  At
> present, we simply help them with their computers.  If we all get run
> over by a bus, or find some other venue or whatever, the Social Centre's
> computing can carry on without any problems.  If we add a server then
> the Social Centre is now *dependent* on us to run their computers.
>
> As I recall, there was a similar suggestion after we set up their
> computers with Linux.  There were mumblings about using static IP
> addresses for the computers on the network.  However, that would mean
> that if we disappeared and they changed their network router or added
> something new to the network, things could stop working.  Again, it made
> the Social Centre dependent on the LUG for their network to run.
>
> It strikes me that this is not a good road to go down, at least not yet.
> Perhaps in five years' time when our relationship with the Social Centre
> is more stable and secure (and for that matter, when the group itself is
> more stable and secure :-)  Another point to be discussed I think.
>

>>> 1. Set up printing using the laser and/or photocopier
>>> 2. Set up the projector with one computer