[Liverpool] Backing up video DVD's

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 11:47:55 UTC 2011

On 03/06/11 10:56, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:16:21 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>
>> The symptom seems to be caused by a trick in the layout, where the
>> drive is stuck in what sounds like repeated seek action on the disc -
>> in a permanent limbo - while copying under vobcopy.
>
> This sounds like one of those horrible systems that use deliberate errors
> to prevent their working in DVD-ROM drives.

Yes, I seem to recall that is the way they do it. It is still strange
that it can play ok through xine or vlc. Maybe playback software is
designed to just ignore/skip corrupted sectors - so this way they are
not affected.

Have you tried dvdbackup?

Yes, I have. Same story. Vobcopy seems just marginally better at this -
but not by a lot.