[Liverpool] Silent PCs

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:46:29 UTC 2011

Yeah if you're doing serious multi-track studio work it needs a decent
processor. I find it's the VST plugins, software synths and such like that
use most of the CPU though. Not necessarily the audio itself.

I don't know how it compares to video processing but imagine a fairly
typical audio project with 16 tracks of high quality audio. Which isn't a
lot if you're recording live drums, that's in mono as well. Then there's all
the plugins you use on each channel. Compression, noise gates, any effects
you might want. Each of these uses CPU obviously and they run in real time.
It can be pretty intensive.

These days one PC can do what a room full of outboard equipment, a mixer, a
patch bay and plenty of cables did for you years ago. But if you're doing
anything serious you need a pretty decent machine.

Dan