[Liverpool] Maemo - back from the ashes?

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 12:27:17 UTC 2011

Or there is another way if you want to be 100% open source. The x86
platform started about, what, in the '80s? It took quite a while for it
to be opened up to the degree it is today. A lot of people have quibbles
with what is perceived as the "Intel" architecture  - or x86. And
indeed, it has plenty of shortcomings. But for all it's disadvantages,
it is a ubiquitous architecture - and probably the most accessible,
hackable and compatible with other bits of peripherals and hardware out
there.

It is really taking, in a way, a narrow view - but I think if you want a
trully accessible phone, with free software - a tiny laptop or netbook,
with large internal battery, or even an extra large universal external
battery, a 3G adapter (internal or external) and communication with the
rest of the world through SIP phone lines over the Internet is probably
as open and free as one can get. Yes, it's hard to call this combination
a "mobile phone" - but I think one would agree it would offer as much
software freedom as possible. Also, it might attract just as much
attention at parties carrying a large bag full of batteries as having
one of the latest smartphones - but not the sort of attention one might
want :D

All theoretically speaking, of course. It wasn't me looking at 133W
external universal Li-Ion batteries for laptops on Ebay. It was somebody
else. They happen to look like me :-)

Sebastian