[Liverpool] Way back into technical topics

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 13:48:16 UTC 2011

Thanks Dan. In turn, I agree with your technical points :-)

Starting a bit of an offshoot post here: I've many times thought about
the merits of minimising learning efforts when it comes to the IT
industry in general, and to software in particular. Keeping in mind that
we all work (or are connected with) an industry with massive amounts of
knowledge, and an extremely rapid rate of change. Keeping up with what
is going on, and becoming an expert in one's niche of IT is a massive
intellectual (and possibly financial) effort most of the time.

Thus I have often been preoccupied with evaluating tools (both software
and hardware) based on the likelihood that their benefits will be as
long lasting as possible. One example off the top of my head is learning
as much as possible solid principles of networking, as opposed to
software and hardware from a particular vendor. Some technologies, due
to their implementation, politics, which company is behind them, how
widely they are accepted, their degree of interoperability - are more
prone then others to existing for a long time in the marketplace. Some
much, much longer then others. Then again, some skills are more
transferrable, others are far more specific and only useful to their
narrow field of application.

This is not exactly a question - as those who have read so far might
have gathered :-) More along the lines of personal musings. If anybody
else has taken time to think about these sort of things - feel free to
contribute their opinion.

I remember some articles about Cobol and some other "older" programming
languages - and how some "old-timers" are still making a decent living
out of programming with them. I would call that a really generous return
on their intellectual investment - specially compared with some web
programmers - who were required to have 10 years experience in
technologies which are only few years old at best - and might be ousted
by something new in another few years.

I'm pretty sure there are other examples of old or new technologies
which either have lasted, or are likely to last and be useful a long
time (at least longer then others).

Sebastian