[Liverpool] Calling on the in-house Android experts - question on sleepy Android

Andrew Bates oscillik at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 21:44:34 UTC 2011

Hmmm that may be an issue with that ROM (Mooncake ROM, if you were
wondering, so you can have a look around on the forums).
I've just tested this with my mom and brother's ZTE Racer (incidentally
running the same ROM) and it does the same.

According to the guy who made the ROM: "It's a problem with the kernel. Any
2.6.32 doesn't keep wifi on when the screen is off. The solution is
upgrading to 2.6.35 (when I or someone releases it...)"

It looks like you may have to play around with different ROMs to find one
that will work, there are a few ROMs on there that are based on cyanogenmod
7, so those might be worth looking into.

As for whether this is normal behaviour, it definitely isn't - My Nexus S
stays connected to WiFi when the sleep policy is set to never.

On 8 November 2011 21:30, Sebastian Arcus <shop at open-t.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm very pleased with my ZTE Racer successfully converted by Andy to 2.3.
I've discovered there is now a graphic equalizer (not sure if it's part of
2.3 or added by the CynogenMod people - but it really makes a significant
difference). I've managed to use the built-in sip client to connect to my
Asterisk server over wifi and everything seems to work fine. I've even
managed to switch wifi on, so that it never disconnects. Well, almost.

> Before, when the screen went off - the wifi went off with it. Now I can
turn the screen off, and the wifi stays one. However, I'm not sure for how
long. if I come back after few hours, and try to ring the phone over sip -
I can't reach it any more. If I unlock the screen - I can see the wifi is
actually disconnected. Does anybody happen to know if there is a second
sleep phase later, after turning off the screen - which actually disables
the wifi? Can anybody test to see if their phone keeps the wifi connected
even few hours after locking the screen (if the wifi option is set to stay
permanently on)?