[Liverpool] Unicode in the console

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Oct 8 12:37:18 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 12:57 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 19:44:16 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:
>
> > I maintain a reading list in a hand-written XML file.  A number of
> > foreign authors' names contain high-byte Unicode characters.  Editing
> > this in the console (using Emacs of course :-) is no problem and
> > people's names show up properly:
>
> I have no problem with Unicode on the console, hand-written XML on the
> other hand...

Well, originally it was an extremely simple HTML file.  Then I thought,
why write HTML when I can write cleaner, semantically clear XML and use
XSL to create a beautiful view? :-)

  http://pkl.net/~node/reading-list.xml

(If you've not come across XSL before, take a look at the source for
that page :-)

While the XML is slightly more verbose than the HTML, the format is so
simple and the file is modified so rarely that I don't think it's worth
using anything but Emacs.  It's certainly not worth building a bespoke
application.  That said, I don't think I'd want to write it in an editor
that doesn't understand XML.  Fortunately, Emacs has an XML major mode
(no surprises there :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }