[Liverpool] [lugmaster] Appeal for information about an old Liverpool LUG

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sun Apr 15 18:49:36 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 07:23 +0100, Richard Smedley wrote:

> > There was also a LUG at Liverpool Uni, although I think it was restricted
> > to students.
>
> In 1999 or 2000, whilst developing GNU/Linux solutions for
> primary schools with ICDC [1] in Liverpool, I e-mailed the Liverpool
> LUG contact (Dr Simon someone, istr) about joining and was told
> "we don't let outsiders in". That was when I started the (now
> semi-dormant) South Cheshire LUG.

Yes, apparently there was a Liverpool Open Source Group, as shown on
this page:

  http://lug.org.uk/node/14

There was a Dr. Simon Hood involved.  I've contact Dr. Hood who's now at
the University of Manchester.  He's provided me with some information
and some further leads to follow up on.

Apparently there weren't very many people involved, the first meeting
was held in the Everyman bistro and they carried on after Dr. Hood left,
which was after only a few meetings.

As I say, I've got other leads to follow up on.  I'll let you know what
I find out.  And put it on the LUG wiki of course :-)

> I'm planning on trying to recover data from some long-defunct
> PCs later this year - if I find a relevant e-mail I'll
> dig it out for your archive.

That would be great if you do, thanks :-)

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>
Diaspora: rah at pod.settrans.net