[Liverpool] Diaspora

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Apr 20 18:12:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 18:39 +0100, Andrew Bates wrote:
> I'm not trying to start a flame bait here, but...seriously?

There seems to be some genuine confusion here so I'll respond.  You
haven't stated the source of your disbelief so I'll assume you're
referring to the fact that Daniel is having trouble finding a pod to
sign up with.

> And people in the Open Source community wonder why Diaspora is a
> 'Diasaster'?

As far as I know, nobody in the open source community thinks that
Diaspora is a disaster.  On the contrary, the feeling towards it seems
to be all positive.  Who are you referring to?

> But if people that espouse it, expect it to be adopted by 'the average
> joe', with barriers such as this

Again, you haven't stated what "this" is, so I'll assume you're
referring to the fact that some pod administrators disallow public
account creation.

There seems to be some confusion about the nature of Diaspora.  Diaspora
is not a centralised system.  In fact, its basic purpose is to move away
from a centralised mode of communicating, like Facebook or Twitter,
toward a federated mode of communicating, like email.

Some pod administrators will not allow members of the public to register
without an invitation.  There may be many reasons for this.  Personally
I don't intend to keep registrations open forever in order to limit the
bandwidth used by the system.

The beauty of a federated system like Diaspora is that even if one pod
will not allow registrations, there are many others pod which will and
you can even put up your own pod, like I have done.  Take as evidence
the following list of Diaspora pods:

  http://podupti.me/

You seem to have taken a tiny blip in the search for an open pod to be
indicative of some systematic problem.  In actual fact, no such problem
exists.

You used the word "barrier" to refer to someone's call for assistance.
I think you have characterised the situation inappropriately and made a
mountain out of a mole hill.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>
Diaspora: rah at pod.settrans.net