[Liverpool] Departure

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Wed Aug 22 21:05:03 UTC 2012

Hi all,

For those who were not at OggCamp, I have to announce that I am stepping
down as a volunteer for LivLUG and I will no longer be attending
meetings.

For some time now I've felt a disquiet about the character of the LUG,
in general but also specifically in relation to free software.  The LUGs
that I have been involved with in the past have always supported free
software.  I had been labouring under the assumption that LivLUG was no
different.  The original LivLUG website of 2005 stated that:

  “The purpose of the group is to promote the use of GNU/Linux and Free
  Software, and to bring the users of Liverpool together.”

However, it has become increasingly clear that this description is not
accurate.  The issue came to a head at the Wednesday meeting this month
when I asked whether people would be happy to have a talk about
proprietary software, if it ran on Linux.  To my dismay but sadly not to
my surprise, the answer was yes, people would be happy.

I decided to leave LivLUG and to announce my departure at OggCamp.  As
if to confirm that I had made the right decision, before making this
announcement a certain other LivLUG member, who shall remain nameless,
suggested in all seriousness that the group should host a talk about
Windows 8.  To me, making such a suggestion is an outrage.  It is an
offence to what LUGs are about.  However, it seems to be in line with
what LivLUG is about.

The prevailing attitude within LivLUG disregards issues of software
freedom and favours inclusion, to the point of promoting proprietary
software.  To work for LivLUG is to work against the free software
movement.  I will not do this.

I hope that you will take my departure as a statement that free software
is a serious matter that should not be disregarded.

Sincerely,

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>