[Liverpool] Departure

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Fri Aug 24 00:17:14 UTC 2012

On 22/08/12 22:07, Bob Ham wrote:
> I hope that you will take my departure as a statement that free
> software is a serious matter that should not be disregarded.

The challenge of the free software movement to keep people motivated
in what is essentially always an ongoing process.

Explaining, endlessly being happy to patiently debate all the old
arguments is an very impressive skill, somehow Matt Lee and the people
that first brought me into the movement could do managed it rather well.

Matt and crew knew well, that to help people see that free software
was a good thing, he had to meet people, and talk to people who
somewhat agreed. Now obviously, somewhat agreeing, is quite a lot like
not agreeing, except that at some point you articulate your argument
in a different context one day, and it seems they agree with you.

It takes a big person to outright admit they were wrong, but they may
still agree with you. Free software activism outside of LUG's is
important, but LUG (and Drupal/Python/Brainfuck/etc User Groups) are
all good places to talk about free software, because the people there
have already got a basic understanding, even if they won't agree with
you straight away.

Anyway, I fondly remember, what must have been, in my words, a rather
below-par talk I gave at livlug a number years back. In fact, you're
probably very lucky in that I seem to remember you turning up late and
missing most of it, which must definitely have been the best way to
see the talk, given how unprepared I was!

Nevertheless, I remember you slotting in the and immediately starting
to ask about what you'd missed, join in with the banter and actually,
somehow, managed to make me feel a little less self-conscious, and for
that, I'm really grateful. :)

I'm sure you have your own things to keep you occupied,
but please be aware of both the Manchester Free Software mailing list
and the FSFE Manchester mailing list: