[Liverpool] Resolution Errors

Daniel Hartley D.R.T.Hartley at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 17:29:07 UTC 2012

Hi Guys,

I haven't  been along to any of the meet ups yet as they seem a bit over
my head and I have been terribly busy recently. I'm very interested in
being part of this group though and I like the ethos that it is built
around friendship and support for Linux users.

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am having intermittent
problems with resolution using Linux Mint 11 on my Lenovo x121e with the
Intel Sandybridge graphics. During the Christmas break the resolution
changed from the correct 1366x768 to the wrong 1280x800. Hence I
currently have a black band down the right hand side of the screen and
some missing from the bottom. I say this is intermittent because from
the install this worked fine. The issue only emerged after travelling
with the laptop on suspend (I was forced due to another issue).

Last week the resolution returned to normal. Then, this morning, it went
bad again.

I have tried adding the correct resolution using xrandr commands, and
have edited the grub inserting vga=844. These fixes didn't work. It
affects the whole computer- the thinkpad boot up screen, as well as the
actual operating system.

I expect then that this is a kernel bug, but am asking if anyone could
help me out with fixing it permanently. It really is quite annoying!

Would anyone be able to shed some light on potential things at issue
here? I believe the wrong EDID is being given by the screen but don't
know how to remedy it.

Any suggestions or discussion are really appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel.
--
www.danielhartley.blogspot.com