[Liverpool] Liverpool LUG meeting with Tony Burrows on Java 3D - Wednesday 1st February 2011

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Jan 27 19:03:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 17:39 +0000, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
> On 27/01/12 17:17, Bob Ham wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 17:07 +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
> >> We will meet
> >> Should be a fascinating talk :-)
> > Unfortunately, I won't be meeting as I'll be away from Liverpool next
> > week :-(  I wish I could be there as it really does sound like a
> > fascinating talk.
> >
> > Hope you all enjoy it anyway :-)
> >
> > Bob
> >
> It almost sounds like you have two personas Bob - replying to your own
> emails. Bob "the announcer" and Bob "the LUG member". Neat distribution
> of personalities - keeps things nice and clear for everybody. Oh - this
> email is for Bob "the LUG member". I'll send a copy later to Bob "the
> announcer". Just to avoid confusion :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self

:-)

You're quite right, there *are* two personas in action here.  Firstly,
there is the formal announcement persona which sends verbatim copies of
the announcement to a multitude of lists.  Then there is the more
familiar beer drinking, phone hacking LUG member who uses swear
words :-)  Just as you pointed out.

We develop different personas in order to cope with different social
situations.  However, that doesn't mean different personalities, just
different views of a single personality.  The word "persona" originally
referred to the masks worn by actors.

We develop different masks because in most situations there are
pressures to refrain from revealing aspects of one's personality.  For
example, it will likely be inappropriate to discuss personal
relationship problems in a business meeting.  Being sensitive to the
needs of a particular situation and the persona that one must adopt is
necessary in order to function in society.

Anyway, enough waxing psychological :-)  The reason I sent two emails is
that I didn't want to add a personal note to the announcement because it
gets sent automatically to lots of other lists as well as this list :-)

Bob (the LUG member :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }